The countdown has started for Taste of Cayman 2013!
According to its website, Taste of Cayman will be celebrating it’s 25th Anniversary on Saturday 26th January, 2013 at the Camana Bay Festival Green.
Earlier this week, I sat down with the gals from the Cayman Islands Tourism Association to talk about another partnership between CITA and The Deep Dish in the lead up to next year’s event. Looks like we’re going to do a very similar promotion including participating restaurant reviews, brilliant recipes straight from Cayman’s top chefs and awesome giveaways during the months of December and January. EXCITE!
In the meantime, I’ve got pumpkin envy. Kristina over at Whipped has the most gorgeous pumpkins growing in her garden! We love our pumpkin in Cayman and this fantastic bisque recipe comes from the stunning Cayman Watercolours 2012 calendar; a project in aid of Cayman Hospice Care.
Pumpkin Soup by Cayman Watercolours Calendar 2012
Print this recipe
You will need
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed & peeled
2 1/2 cup peeled & chopped pumpkin, or 1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tbsp sunflower butter
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk or light cream
- In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add all the ingredients except the milk and nutmeg
- Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer 30 – 40 minutes until pumpkin is tender
- Puree the mixture in a blender. Return the mixture to the saucepan and thin to desired consistency with the milk
- Sprinkle with grated nutmeg and serve