Doesn’t that look good? We’ll get to that…but first!
About a year ago, Clark Kent and I were adopted.
This mother and son duo is as bad and as menacing as they look. Street dogs with street cred. They chase lizards. They eat chickens. They roll in all manner of stinky things. And then they want to snuggle. Sigh.
They’re also relentless with their cold doggy noses when they’re ready to go out for a walk. Even at 5am.
At least there’s coffee and cake when we get home 🙂
Cassava Heavy Cake (a Caymanian classic!) from Cookin’ and Laughin’ in the Cayman Islands
You will need:
Two 14 oz cans coconut milk
2 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
2 cup light brown sugar
6 cup grated cassava (North Americans will know this as ‘yucca’)
- Mix everything but cassava, put into a large pot and bring to a boil, and then turn down to simmer, until it separates
- Skim some oil foam off top (about 1 cup) and save
- Add to 6 cups grated cassava
- Stir briskly and pour into well greased baking pan, 15 inch by 8 inch by 2 1/2 inch
- Bake at 350 until set, about 20 minutes
- Spread 1/2 oil foam topping over it, bake another 20 minutes and spread rest of topping
- Bake slowly until sides let go and top is brown (25 – 35 minutes)
- Let it cool for about a day, before covering, otherwise it sweats and spoils. This way it can keep for about 5 days. Refrigeration spoils it by turning it hard.