One of the Cayman Islands’ biggest draws as a vacation destination is the spectacular diving the three islands offer.
Cayman is also home to the International Scuba Diving Hall of Fame which held its 2012 induction ceremony Wednesday night at the Westin Casuarina Resort. Last night was my favorite part of the event: the annual Underwater Film Festival! These short films instantly transport viewers into the depths by showing a myriad of sea creatures, brilliant coral structures and ghostlike wrecks.
I held back my own submission this year because I didn’t want to make the other filmmakers looks like amateurs. Ahem.
A good swim always works up a massive appetite that just begs for a starchy binge. Why don’t you whip up some delicious Cassava fries to silence that rumbly swim tummy?
You will need:
1.5 cups cassava, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 spring onions, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
- Cover cassava with water in large pot
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender
- Drain cassava and set aside
- In large pot, warm oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onions for about 1 minute.
- Fry cassava for 5 – 10 minutes until crispy.
Diving photos by Alex Harling and The Deep Dish