Bill’s Rice and Beans
Gratuitous baby shot. I offer no apologies 🙂
I’m in the states visiting my BFF from college, giving her and her hubby and extra set of hands after their newest arrival…well, arrived last week.
I fully anticipated being relegated to the kitchen while mom and dad took care of their boys but I was plesantly surprised when Mr. Mom whipped up this yummy rice and beans. A taste of home!
And while its not a baked good, I hope my baking club will accept it as this month’s Turkey Day side dish challenge 🙂
Bill’s Rice & Beans
You will need:
In food processor:
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
3/4 large white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
remaining onion, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
8oz can of tomato sauce
2 packs sazom
4 tbsp adobo
1 2oz can capers
1 can pigeon peas
1 can pink beans
4 springs fresh cilantro, minced
2 cups water
3 cups uncooked rice
- In large pot, saute garlic and diced onions for about two minutes until brown in olive oil.
- Add food processed veg, heat on medium high heat for about 3 minutes
- Add 8oz can of tomato sauce, sazom and adobo, capers and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add peas, beans, cilantro and water
- Add 3 cups uncooked rice. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir, recover and simmer for another 20 minutes.
I also got to spend the holidays with my second family on Thursday. Please indulge me while I brag with some photos!
Make sure to check out what my fellow baking club members whipped up for the occasion!
The Orgasmic Chef
Simply Sweet Justice
From My Sweet Heart