A Sweet Dough
One of the most exciting things about Taste of Cayman is the swag! For the 2011 event, the Cayman Islands Tourism Association gave guests a swag bag that included several recipes from local restaurants.
I’m still working my way through them and when it came time to post this week’s TOC recipe I remembered just how delicious The Black Trumpet’s tarts were that year!
Sweet Dough by The Black Trumpet
You will need:
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
- Cream butter with paddle attachment in mixer until soft.
- Add icing sugar and salt
- Beat eggs and vanilla gradually.
- Stir or sift together flour and cornstarch. Add to bowl all at once, pulsing on and off to combine.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill before using.
- After chilling, preheat over to 350 F and place flour on work surface and roll dough out to desired thinness.
- Use round cookie cutter to cut shapes and sizes, place in tart case and blind bake (that is, without filling) until golden on the edges.
- Remove beans from tart case and place back in the oven for a few minutes to dry the middle.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
This year’s Taste of Cayman is January 26th at Camana Bay.